Bellagio $1500: 88 vs. Barry G

Originally Posted by Justin Bonomo

Perhaps you misread the stacks Clonie. We have 40k, but Barry only has 30k.

If we raise to 10k, and Barry shoves, we have a profitable call and can’t fold. We are getting over 2-1 and Barry has enough overcards in his shove range.

Also, it’s a disaster if he ever calls with something like QJs and folds on a missed flop when we could have had him all-in pre on that same flop.

I don’t think it is a disaster if he calls with QJ and folds on a missed flop. 88 isn’t that strong. A Q or J can come on the turn and river. It is almost a 50/50 if QJ sees 5 cards. 88 vs QJ is not just like AK vs QQ or below, the power of AK is it ability to make small to medium pairs lay down pre-flop. All other button hands are just hoping that they aren’t called, hoping they have two over cards. AK is only a big dog to AA and KK. QJ is a big dog to AQ,AJ,KQ,AA,KK,QQ,JJ and is 48/52 on all pairs and AK vs QJ is a 60/40. All are the most likely re-raising hands. The decision to push pre-flop to a re-raiser with QJ is dangerous. It puts your opponent in a difficult spot. This is why a raise of 10,000 is just as good as a shove.

If my standard re-raise amount commits more that 40 to 50% of my stack I shove. But if I can make a re-raise that is just as effective as a shove, I prefer to do that. My opponent is going to push back at the wrong time. I give my opponent the option of making a HUGE mistake, with the most likely re-raise hands I have in that spot. Sometimes I am going to fold, sometimes I am going to call, with this my opponent can’t say for sure that QJ won’t be called so them pushing in with it is not a good play against me.

Men best show their character in trifles, where they are not on their guard. It is in the simplest habits, that we often see the boundless egotism which pays no regard to the feelings of others and denies nothing to itself. -Arthur Schopenhauer